The following are some home inspection questions that readers sent in regarding home inspections in Canada.
1. What will a home inspection reveal?
- serious problems (repairs in excess of $1,500)
- replacement and repair needs
- life expectancy of major components
- safety information
It is best for you to shop around, as home inspection costs tend to differ greatly.
Some real estate inspection service providers charge by:
- Square foot
- Cost of the house being inspected (rates sometimes go as high as 2%)
- The hour (some charge upwards of $100 per hour)
The time is takes to conduct a home inspection depends on the size and even condition of a home.
Some home inspection can be completed in less than 2 hours, while others may take upwards of 6 hours. What matters most is that the inspection is thorough.
4. Are home inspections guaranteed?
It is important to note that home inspections are not intended to provide guarantees or warranties. Some companies will offer to refund your money if their home inspector misses something, but that is certainly not a situation you want to find yourself in at any point.
Make sure you find a qualified home inspector – ask for references and professional qualifications.
5. Where can I find a qualified home inspector in Canada?
To find an inspector near you in Canada, visit CAHPI.ca and CanNACHI.org